Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Exciting Life of Elder Black, from Jacob's 8/19/201 Email

I tried some new sting ray curry at a place called 4 square (it is a better, more original name than most- the supermarket is called (get ready).... "THE STORE"!!!!) My P-day was switched to Monday, so nothing that exciting happened.

OH! Parties were happening! We were able to have a lot of members invite their friends (well, actually one member who invited 3 members), and one of them said she would meet with us! That was super exciting!

We had a VERY empty chapel yesterday due to the large amounts of members who are gone to Youth Conference! They are going to have a blast, I am excited for them! I was able to give my first talk on Sunday, that was exciting! It wasn't that hard of a topic- Missionary Work, and I have progressed enough in the language that I can express myself bluntly (not quite effectively or eloquently by far!). There was also 3 Americans visiting (Jesse(sp?) Winnhin(sp?) and his parents who are visiting his mission-- he ended when I came in. I spoke in both Mandarin and English, alternating about every sentence, or thought.

Well, I really like one of the members who understands English perfectly (kind of) and who gives very honest feedback on the language, So I can ask him how to say a phrase and he will tell me. That is nice.

I meet a lot of people who have amazing spiritual experiences and yet refuse to act on them. It is sad, and I hope I will learn more and more how to connect with them on a level which will help them feel more comfortable asking questions.

Something I learned years ago, and am constantly relearning, is that people really don't care what you know. They care that you care. I notice a change within myself, when I am listening to a person and caring about them, rather than just listening to the words they speak. It takes a lot of effort, but I am learning so much about people, how they interact with others, and why they do and say different things.

Well, I would like to bear my testimony that I know that God is our Heavenly Father and that He loves us perfectly. He is waiting for us to ask if He exists. To pray to Him. Love you all!

Elder Black

No comments:

Post a Comment