Sunday, July 7, 2013

6/30/13

I sent last weeks email again, but I will try to catch you all up on some experiences this week.
This week on Thursday, our investigator and her son were interviewed at about 5:30pm.  They passed (naturally) and then we had to leave to go out in the boon docks for another interview.  However, after that interview, we received a call from our Fearless Zone Leaders, asking us if the power was out in our part of Miri.  We told them yes.  They called Sister Mains who Googled it and told them that all of the power in the state of Sarawak was out. 
Luckily Sister Mains makes sure that we have working lights for our bikes, and we were able to make it home.  The Zone Leaders ensured that the Sisters would be safe for the night at Elder and Sister Martin's home, and then we biked over to their apartment which had a generator and stayed the night.
  Saturday was exceptional.  We were able to see 5 non-members at the baptismal service, Our investigator asked me to baptize her, and Elder Fabiano baptized her son.  Their testimonies were so powerful, and they found out that there is a group next to their home in China where they can partake of the sacrament. 

Daddy:  It sounds like they should change your calling to the Ward Mission Leader! I am so happy to know that God doesn't make mistakes, and He always calls us to where we can learn the most, and do the greatest good! I remember reading that talk and applying it in a meeting, so that instead of just one person talking, everyone was teaching-- a "socratic seminar" as Mr. Buck called them in History class.  I think that from everything that I have experienced so far, I know that I am not much smarter than I was when I was eight years old, but that I have more experiences to draw from, positive and negative learning experiences, and that although sometimes it's difficult to teach someone a lesson, we can give them experiences they choose to learn from.  With investigators, we try to get them to read, pray, and gain experience, and a knowledge of God from their interactions with Him.  God helps me by placing me in experiences where I am constantly humbled to my knees, seeking help and guidance from Him.  I really hope to do so when I get home, I will try to apply it now in the mission field (discussing the events of Sunday).

Mommy:  Thanks for telling me what you've been up to! It's Durian season now, which means that I have the opportunity to EAT DURIAN!! :D YES!!! You are such a great mother (the best.) and I keep thinking about all the lessons I learned from watching you.  I can't recall lessons I learned, or words I heard from your mouth, but I remember you reading me scriptures, teaching me Bible stories, playing with me, telling me I was strong, telling me I was a nice boy, a good boy, and teaching me through example to wake up early, make the temple a priority, and helping me to focus on Jesus Christ! :D  You are THE BEST! :D  I talked about the baptism a bit, no, right now we are back to zero investigators, and are focussing on strengthening the conversion of the group members, and helping them invite their friends to learn :D

Richard:  I will pray for you! I sure love the excitement and enthusiasm in your email! I can't wait for you to get your mission call! You are going to be so well prepared! One thing I advise you to do (I'm not sure if I already have or have not advised this), is to study the difference between testimony and conversion, and then do your best to be as exactly obedient as you can to enjoy the blessings of true conversion.  I know that what Dad has counseled me to do-- prepare-- is often better than experience.  I love you brother! :D

Corina:  You GOT IT! :D I am so happy that you have direct counsel from God to help you ford the tests of life! I know that as we develop a relationship with God of Faith, trust, and love, that we will be able to endure any hardships with a resolute and peaceful attitude.  I love that you are still making bread, and I think Rebekah has a wonderful idea! :D

Rebekah:  Thanks girl!  Thank you Rebekah, I love you too, and I think you are number one! You keep on being the best girl you can be! You're beautiful.  :D

Joshua:  Wow! You got to do so many things! Whose reception was it?  Are you an amazing swimmer already?! I know you are such a strong happy nice boy! :D

Mandy:  I love you to Mandy sister! I like to show everyone your picture :D



On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Julie Black <jhb@blackoasis.us> wrote:
Dear Jacob,
Mandy and I are eating a smoothy.  It's yummy!  we went swimming yesterday and we went to a reception.  They had cupcakes!   My cupcake is delicious.  We sang at the towers.   Tennyson came with us.  That's sister Jensen's baby that Corina was babysitting.  We sang beautiful.  Richard played "Oh beautiful For Spacious Skies" on the Cello.  You're the best brother ever!  I played with Lewis this week.
love Joshua
j jh

Dear Jacob
n   n,,...........,.m bb bbbn fjjffjj fc ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccxfcaaaa xa,jjjjjj.l,,;jl jk; bnknj jkku QQ
ulkojioijy jijuio u  nm,m bnmjylo8o8jnm? bb hjyu ;'kk; ;';h m .hjm kjkh u y m nmjhm        I lo ';fve   KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhjhju          nuyjhihhhhhhhhhhu hhh jhjoijyjhjjgjM< <<m





.mvv
 mn  m\]0n215 1    vb b mnbcz  leah@thespencerfamily.net nnx  /v,bmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaattttttmmmmmmoooooombbbbbbbaaaaaaaaataddy mommycorinaroichardm ,
love Mandy

Jacob
Good Morning!  how are you?  We love you so much!  I am so sorry we sent our email after you sent yours!  I can't believe it happened!  Guess what ?  Corina is getting her patriarchal blessing today after church.  I hope it is a wonderful experience for her.  We have had a very busy week canning apples sauce and apple butter.  It was so much work, but we used all the apples and it was really neat to have everyone  helping.  Josh has proven to be a great mill cranker he cranked the whole first batch!  W had a great concert at the towers.  Grandpa and Uncle Tom Joined us.  Corina played her ukulele.
Dad Corina and I fasted for her patriarchal blessing today.  It was great to fast.  We had a fifth week lesson by the bishop today in which the youth and parents were all in attendance.  It was great.  We watched the broadcast opening song.  It was great.  It was all about missionary work, and reporting on our experiences in following Elder Zwick's challenge.  My efforts have been as follows.  organized weekly singalongs at the towers, purchased three family proclamations, gave away two to people who came to the door.  Made efforts to teach gospel to my children, encouraged family members to determine who they could invite.  worked more earnestly to live a missionary life. 

Please tell us about the baptism, and let us know if you have a new companion.  Do you have new investigators? 
Love you so much
Mommy


Dear Jacob, I love you. You are awesome. love rebekah.

Dear Jacob,
     I got my patriarchal blessing this afternoon!!! It was so special! It was kinda weird for the patriarch to talk about me getting married...:) I can't wait to get myself a copy! I made some bread yesterday, and it was a great success! About the email, earlier this week I saw it, clicked on it, and...it dissapeared!!!!! duhn-duhn-duhn DUHN!!!dad found it though, so yay!!!!I am soo glad you are having such great success on your mission!! question, do you read your patriarchal blessing very much on your mission?Oh, rebekah had the greatest thought! she said, Just convert Congress! :) Girls camp is this week!!!! I am sooo excited!!! 'My' girls are awesome, and I am soo pumped to be a YCL!!!I made a bunch of apple pies w/ Rebekah, and they were sooo yummy!!! At the towers i played the ukelele and felt like my practice didn't help at ALL. oh well! :) I am giving a talk next Sunday!:) I LOVE YOU!!!!!
   Love,
Corina Black


Yo bro,
wuzzup, man? we are having trouble finding the email that you sent us last week, so I have no idea what's up in your side of the world, but I hope things are going well for you. Has your investigator family made more progress? This week I worked almost every day except for Thursday and it is becoming really awesome to wake up at five in the morning. Yay. Its ok, though because I need the money for my mission. So excited for Corina. This week I am going to go and teach lesson one to some "investigators" for the mission prep cass. Wish me and my companion luck, or pray for us.
Much love and peach pudding,
Richard Black

Dear Jacob,

I am so glad to have you for my son. If there's any way to work it in to a conversation, I tell everybody about you and your mission. We pray for you every day.

Today was the 5th Sunday, so the Bishop spoke to all the adults as usual. But today, he had the youth join us, and spoke about missionary work. Pretty cool stuff, mostly: let people know you're a Mormon and invite them to (fill in the blank: know more; attend Church; listen to the missionaries, etc.).

As I was studying for my first Sunday School presidency meeting, I noted that one of the purposes of Sunday School is to "Help Church members 'teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom' (D&C 88:77) at church and at home." It's not just "to teach," but to help members "teach one another." It's also not just teaching "at church" but also "at home." Parents and youth who are class members in Church are expected to go home and teach each other at home.

We (especially Mom) have tried to do that by discussing after Church what we learned at Church. Hope that becomes a pattern for you in the mission field and in your own home.

Love you,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment